Monday, June 9, 2008

Hospital Hill 1/2 Marathon!

WE DID IT!!!  Melissa and I managed to get through 16 mph winds, 79% humidity, and 5+ hills! And on top of that, I had two side cramps, a cramp in my left quad and an ache in my right knee!  At mile 7 I was really doubting my ability to get through the race.  I kept praying and praying to receive strength and endurance to make it to the finish line.  My prayers were answered and I was able to push myself and make it through the finish line sprinting as fast as I could!  Even though my time was not to my expectations ( 2 hours 38 min) I was proud of myself for completing the race with 1 month of training!  Thank you Melissa for inviting me to run with you and CONNING me into running the marathon! :)  It was a pleasure to run with you! Funny thing... I know I am a pretty competitive person, and Melissa says she's not, and the day of the race, she was telling me that it was ok if I wanted to run ahead of her...... well, Melissa ended up running ahead of me!  You go girl!  





The boys had a BLAST playing in the water fountains at the race!



Owen didn't really want to get wet. :P  The poor guy had a fever when he got home. :(



7 comments:

The Ryberg Family said...

Nice opening song. :0) The boys DID look like they had fun! Did you jump into the fountains after you were done? I would have! Poor Owen though. :0( We love you guys!!

Melissa said...

MANDY-
YOU ARE THE CHAMPION!!!!
I've been training for two years and you only a MONTH!!! That is an AMAZING accomplishment to finish 13 miles So strong. Most people would have laid down in the fetal position dealing with the pains and conditions you had, but YOU kept running on thru.
I am amazed at your determination to even go for it with only 4 weeks to train..... I can't wait to see how well you do the next one. ;P (I can talk you into another, right?) You'll leave me in the dust!!!!

Jamie Smith said...

You are wonder woman. That's all I have to say. :)

Melissa said...

Good job, Mandy!! 13 miles is not a jaunt in the park~it takes so much mental and physical endurance~that is a huge accomplishment! I like all your running songs too!

Shannon said...

Wow - You rock girl! I am amazed. I wish I had the stamina to do something like that. I doubt I do :) Can't wait to finally meet you in person!!

See you in less than a week!

Shannon

Smedley Family said...

Way to go Mandy! Jason and I were going to do the Mayors Midnight 1/2 this year, but by the time we went to sign up, they were all full. Bummer, maybe next year! By the way, people don't pay enough attention to time, only you, they only care that you did the dang thing, cause the majority of people dont! lol

Cam and Josie said...

Go Mandy! You are INCREDIBLE! What an accomplishment--I'm sure it feels so great! I hope all is going well with you!